Wednesday, August 27, 2014

What's Going On


I'm going to take a page from the Wine and Savages blog and write a bit about what I'm up to these days. It's been a bit quiet here, but all for good causes.

Like +Sean Bircher, I too find myself rather up to my eyeballs in gaming-related work. Which is quite wonderful in and of itself. The tricky part comes with working a full-time job as well, particularly at this time of year. (Can I get an "amen" from all my fellow readers who dread the turn of the fiscal year for all the extra work it brings?) Here's how things are shaking out at the moment:

Writing
  • Part of the reason for my more relaxed blogging pace through most of the summer was the fact that my writing energies were otherwise engaged after I connected with Pendragon author Greg Stafford, answering a call for help with proofreading and formatting the Guide to his long-awaited Pendragon Atlas. That proofreading (which I started doing back in the winter) gradually turned into actual outright editing, so you'll be seeing Yours Truly on the credits page of the Atlas when it eventually drops. I'm looking forward to working with Greg on future projects as well, but nothing's set down in stone just yet. Keep an eye on this space for announcements, whenever that might be. 
  • As Sean mentioned, he and I, along with my podcasting co-host +David Schimpff, are batting around ideas on how to expand Sean's Miyamoto Academy Combatters setting seed into a full-fledged Savage Worlds setting. Sean and Schimpff have been doing yeoman's work on that so far, but I'm getting ready to jump back in as well.
  • This bit of news is perhaps better suited for The Minis Corner, but I'm going to be contributing articles to the Warlord Games website, starting with a short piece on Operation Goodwood that should be popping up in the not-too-distant (and will get linked on my other blog when it does appear).
  • I'm also working on developing a series of online pick-a-path game books with fellow author, gamer, and good friend +Alex Christy. This past weekend, we finally nailed down the mechanics of the system and a rough outline of the first book. Alex is a wiz at Flash programming, so he'll be handling the programming end of things, and we'll both contribute to the writing. I'm hoping to have something presentable done and posted by this time next year, but I've never written something like this before, so we'll see how long it takes!
  • Later this week (most likely tomorrow) I'll be launching a Patreon campaign on this blog for my remaining Solo GPC posts. More details forthcoming on that, but I'm hoping that the campaign will both provide the needed boost to get the series finished off and raise enough money for me to bring in a collaborator and produce a really professional-looking (but still totally free) PDF omnibus of all the posts.
  • As if that weren't enough, I've got a couple other potential RPG-related book projects in the works that are too early in the development phase to really talk about, but still have me doing background reading and note-jotting when and where I can fit in the time.
Wow, looking back at that list, that's a lot of stuff going on! Oh yeah, I also have to make time to actually game, don't I...?

Gaming
  • With my weekly face-to-face tabletop group, I'm currently in the midst of running The Great Pendragon campaign - no small undertaking, as you can see from the Obsidian Portal! Next up in the docket? Oh, just a little larf called Horror on the Orient Express, no biggie. Oh wait, yes it is.
  • I'm also carrying on with my weekly Hangout game with my old friends/gaming group in California. We're sort of in between things right now, but I have every intention of running a D&D 5e game come the fall, and in the meantime I'll be running a mini-campaign or two - TBD tonight, actually.
  • Much like Mr. Bircher, part of the way I make time to spend with my lovely wife in between all this other business is through "duet" gaming (like the Solo GPC!), and we're getting ready to start something up in that regard. It won't be weekly, nor will I be regularly chronicling it online (how could I with all this other crap going on?), but it does constitute yet another campaign to set up and run. But these are the kinds of problems you want to have, amirite?
And yes, maintaining some semblance of a marital relationship in general is also quite high on the ol' priority list, should that even need to be said. (I'm reminded of S. John Ross's sig: "Husband. Cook. Writer. In that order.")

With all this stuff on my plate, I've been forced to drop a few commitments here and there. Sadly, I'm going to have to bow out of podcast hosting for one thing. I had thought that cutting things back to a monthly appearance would work out, but even that's proven a bridge too far. Just too many things taking up my mental energy and focus. My co-eponymous co-host has found an excellent replacement in the form of Susan Steward, and I'll continue to contribute with managing the Google Plus community and helping out with managing the feed, but for now I must turn my attentions elsewhere. I'm hoping to return at some point, but I have no idea when that might be.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...