Monday, March 31, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Thirty-One

What out-of-print RPG would you most like to see back in publication? Why?

"Well that's the problem right now. At the moment nothing comes to mind."

Seriously, I've had a month to think of an answer to this, the final question of the challenge, and I'm kind of drawing a blank. I mean, sure, there are games like Cyberpunk 2020 that I'd love to see available again, but only for purely selfish reasons. There are still excellent cyberpunky games in print today, so it's not like an aspiring GM can't find something good, either purist or mash-up. And most of my beloved old-school games are either still in print, or else readily available on the second-hand market. I guess I'm just lucky that way - I know there are folks who have beloved games that aren't available in PDF, and with second-hand prices going for ridiculous sums.

When I think about games I'd like to see back in print, I think about genres that are currently underrepresented. It seems like mecha games aren't as common as they used to be. Palladium recently re-released Robotech, but gone are the Mekton Zs and Mechwarriors of yesteryear. And, in a related vein, there's not a whole lot going on with what, ten years ago, was seemingly a flourishing genre: anime RPGs.

I was somewhat of a Big Eyes, Small Mouth fan, and I always thought it was pretty unfortunate that Guardians of Order tanked right when the Third Edition of BESM was dropping, although admittedly 3e was pretty damn crunchy. At least it's still available in PDF (along with the other editions).


And that's the thing - many "out of print" games aren't actually so OOP. They're either still knocking around in PDF format, or else, thanks to Kickstarter, if you just wait long enough, it seems like a new version will come out eventually. Case in point, another anime RPG, OVA, has been out of print for nearly a decade but is now coming back after a very successful KS.

At the end of the day, it feels pretty good to realize that there aren't really any games that I'm actively pining for.

And that is that. Fifty-nine straight days of blogging! I think I'm going to take a couple days off...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...