Friday, March 28, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Twenty-Eight

What free RPG did you enjoy most? Give details.


I have to admit, this question makes me feel like a bit of a capitalist tool. I've downloaded a few free RPGs here and there, but I couldn't actually tell you what they were. They went straight to my Gaming: Miscellaneous folder and there they probably still sit, unplayed and unread. I guess there really is something to perceived value?

(What's worse is that this question seems to imply that I've got multiple free RPG play experiences under my belt, let alone just one. . .)

At any rate, two experiences do come to mind, and both from relatively recently. First off, I played in a mini-campaign of Zombi, a zombie-horror RPG with a free PDF version I'd first read about on Jeff's Gameblog and which I'd suggested to a fellow member of my face-to-face group who was interested in learning to run games. I figured the rules-lite structure would make for an easier experience, and it came off well for a novice GM's first try.

If we're counting playtests, then I also ran what was essentially a one-shot (stretched over two or three sessions) and played in a mini-campaign of the D&D Next playtest. The games were enjoyable, but were also subject to the realities of playtesting, which is to say, we were playing with half-baked rules that changed with each new version. After that experience, I don't think I'll be playtesting any rules any time soon, although I'd still be happy to playtest scenarios.

At any rate, that's a pretty sparse resume. I know there are tons of fabulous free RPGs out there - anyone have any suggestions they want to share?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...