Thursday, March 27, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Twenty-Seven

What IP that doesn’t have an RPG deserves it? Why?

I had to think about this one a bit since, as I wrote yesterday, I tend to not buy RPGs based on IPs I'm already familiar with.

In a general sense, I suppose, it would probably be cool if there was a Harry Potter RPG, just because it would do a great service towards growing the hobby, although the iron's not nearly as hot now in that regard as it was even a few years ago.

I guess, personally, the best answer I can come up with - and this is a bit of a cheat, I'll admit - is that I'd love to see a decent English-language Lone Wolf RPG. No, not the manga; the 80s game books. Mongoose had a d20 version that was, well, pretty execrable. Both in terms of mechanics and (especially) art. They redeemed themselves quite a bit with their second try, a rules-lite RPG that stuck very close to the game book mechanics. But there was still something missing from the aesthetic, although Rich Longmore got a lot closer than previous Mongoose illustrators.

The folks at Le Grimoire publish the French language version called Loup Solitaire, and they clearly get that a big part of the appeal of Lone Wolf (which is, let's face it, a fairly generic fantasy world) lies in the art, and they brought in original Lone Wolf artist Gary Chalk as well as the mighty Russ Nicholson to do illustrations. If I was a Francophone, I'd have no problems.

But for some reason, English-language efforts keep trying to update the look of the world to make it into just another post-3e/post-Skyrim clone. Snoozers.

Mongoose finally lost the Lone Wolf license and it went to Cublice 7 last year. I'm optimistic. C7 does good work and has a firm track record of putting out excellent licensed games. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll finally get an English-language Lone Wolf RPG that does justice to the setting's legacy. We shall see...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...