Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Twenty-Six

What RPG based on an IP did you enjoy most? Give details.

I've talked about some IP-based games in this series already: Riverworld, Aliens, Robotech...but I can't really say I've played any of those enough to enjoy "the most." And there are a few biggies I've been interested in but have never had a chance to play, namely any iteration of a Star Wars RPG.

Even though Lovecraft's works are in the public domain now, they weren't when Call of Cthulhu was published, so I guess that qualifies as an RPG based on an IP, right? Is something still considered an IP once it's in the public domain? Does anyone care?


At any rate, my love for Call of Cthulhu is well-documented on this blog and even preserved in audio amber. Like most other IP-based RPGs, I was unfamiliar with the property prior to buying the game, but the game then served as a gateway to familiarizing myself with the source material. This has been a pattern of mine ever since I started gaming, to the exclusion of buying IP-based games based on properties I already know about. It's almost like there's an aversion there. Maybe it's because there's a feeling of familiarity, or a feeling that it's somebody else's story? If I don't know the major players in the story, or I'm intrigued by the setting and want to find out more, it seems I'm more apt to enjoy the game initially.

I've got a couple friends who are very interested in the forthcoming Firefly RPG. I've never seen so much as a minute of footage from either the show or the movie. (I've got a passing familiarity with the characters and the world because, really, how could I not have absorbed that through geek osmosis?) At this point, I'm thinking the greatest service I can do to guarantee my interest in playing in those campaigns would be to maintain my ignorance, and only check out Firefly and Serenity after we started playing! Something to ponder...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...