Monday, March 17, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Seventeen

Which RPG has the best high tech rules? Why?

I don't feel like I'm really that well-qualified to weigh in on this one. As I've stated before, I don't have a whole lot of high tech/sci-fi gaming under my belt, and what games I do have (like Rifts) didn't really feature rules so much as catalogs of cool crap to buy.

But man, I've loved me some cool crap catalogs. In fact, I bought the Street Samurai Catalog for Shadowrun about two years before I ever bought the core game simply on the strength of its cover image, title, and the promise of lots of cool crap to ogle.


I thought the term "street samurai" was just about the edgiest thing ever, and I loved how each page featured a single weapon, lovingly illustrated and described. Even better, there were little snide comments about a lot of the weapons from actual street samurai (or at least those who claimed to be!). Little did I realize that in 1992 Shadowrun was predicting the rise of the Internet troll along with the actual trolls of the setting.


The stat lines meant nothing to me, but I clearly remember reading the Street Samurai Catalog simply for pleasure, and to steal ideas for my own dystopian cyberpunk comic book that I was working on at the time, the evocatively-titled Dark Future.

Hey, what do you want? I was 13.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...