Saturday, March 15, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Fifteen

What pseudo or alternate history RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?

Unlike strictly historical RPGs, I've played plenty of what I'd consider alternate history RPGs. In fact, I'd say it's one of my most-played (and most-enjoyed) genres of RPG. This is due, in part, to the fact that I consider even settings with secret magic or hidden monsters to be alternate history. Call of Cthulhu's default Jazz Age setting is as much an alternate history RPG as it is a horror RPG, in my eyes.

But there's no denying that some alternate history RPGs are more "alternate" than others. And I have to say that, at the top of my list of most-enjoyed games in this genre, is one that really takes things up to the proverbial 11: Deadlands.

The last couple years have seen me finally getting around to running games that I've long wanted to, and Deadlands was one of those. I knew I had to have the game back when it first came out in the late 90s and I saw it described online as "a Spaghetti Western written by H. P. Lovecraft and directed by Sam Raimi."

And it did not disappoint. I had to exert a certain level of will to not just say to my group, "Hey guys, screw it. Let's just keep going with Deadlands forever and ever!" I know a couple of my players would have had zero problem with that. And I know we'll get back to it eventually. In the meantime, we've got the memories...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...