Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day Twelve

What humorous RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.

Man, this is probably the biggest gap-in-need-of-filling in my gaming lexicon: I've never played a game that's overtly marketed as a humor RPG.

This seems to be a genre that had its golden age in the 80s, although lord knows there have been some gems produced here and there since. But back then, you had Paranoia, Toon, and the Ghostbusters RPG all coming out around the same time.

That time happened to be before my time, although I remember chuckling over ads for Paranoia in my Dragon magazine back issues. But I have no recollection of seeing those games on the shelf at my local game store. (Well, except for Toon...) They were probably still in print, but it just never happened. Plus, with the extremely small groups I played in back then, some the appeal of the insanity of Paranoia would doubtlessly have been lost.

But Paranoia is very much on my gaming bucket list, and I think I need to make it a priority to acquire a copy of...whichever edition is considered the "classic" one - I'm sure there's one. There's always a Classic Edition.

At any rate, yeah. Acquire a copy and run it at some point. Also, Ghostbusters. I'm not sure if it's meant to be played as overtly comedically as Paranoia, but c'mon. It's frigging Ghostbusters. If ever there was a movie that perfectly captured a typical group of PCs doing what PCs do best, this is it.


And even though it was published by West End Games, it was written by the Chaosium all-star team of Sandy Petersen, Lynn Willis, and Greg Stafford. Good grief! Also, it was the progenitor of the D6 system, which I've taken a recent and renewed interest in thanks to the Breachworld kickstarter.

So I say all that to say, this may be my year for making up for the lack of comedy RPGs, both in my collection and in my actual-play experience.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...