Friday, February 21, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Twenty-One


First time you sold some of your D&D books--for whatever reason.

I'm not a collector by any means. In fact, with only a few exceptions, I take a fairly mercenary view towards my gaming ephemera. "What's useful to me now? What can I clear off the shelves?"

My eBay profile tells me I've been a member since December 12, 1999. I couldn't say for certain, but I don't think it took me very long after joining to start selling parts of my gaming collection. I sold my Warhammer Fantasy Battle Empire army that I'd been building since my freshman year in high school because we were "done with Games Workshop." I sold GURPS Old West as part of a general clearing-out and was shocked when it got bid up to 80 bucks. And I'm pretty sure I sold my first D&D books within a year of signing up for that eBay account, because that's when 3rd edition came out.

I had probably about 2-3 shelf-feet of 2e books, and they all went save for HR1 Vikings (which I still have), because 3e was going to be the savior of D&D. With the exception of about a half-dozen books, I don't have any of my old stuff. And with maybe one or two exceptions, I am untroubled by this. I like having a hobby that can help pay for itself. Interests wax and wane, and I'd rather not lug around a bunch of books that I have no interest in using because "one day I might need them."

I recently re-acquired the AD&D 2e Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Monstrous Manual, paying about 30 bucks for the lot. I haven't run any 2e campaigns in almost 15 years. Was it worth the 30 dollars I just paid to not have had to carry those core books through five moves, or have found the shelf space to store them all that time? To me it is.

Recently, I've been doing things a little differently. In order to help encourage people in my circle of gamer friends to run more things, I've started giving books away if it seemed like something they'd be able to do something with a lot sooner than me. That feels nice, too. And I can always borrow the books back if I really need them...

One final note: the banner image at the top of this blog is a photograph of one section of my gaming shelves, taken maybe a year or two ago. If I were to take that same shot today, at least three of those books would no longer be there - one got sold, and the other two are on-loan to friends. I wonder what that section will look like in another year?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...