Friday, February 28, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Twenty-Eight


What is the single most important lesson you've learned from playing Dungeons & Dragons?

For this, the final question of the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop, I'm going to have to start by quoting +S. John Ross at length. Please bear with me:
It makes me pause and ponder ... when someone posts a comment or topic which they clearly believe relates to RPGs in general, but which is meaningless outside D&D or its immediate derivatives. I respect that gaming style, and the importance of it, but when D&D folk innocently assume that all other games are basically D&D with a different skin, I find myself thinking "This must be what it's like listening to Americans, if you're not American."
So in the spirit of that sentiment, I am going to consider that question literally.

The most important thing I've learned from playing D&D? Always loot the bodies and check for hidden treasure behind loose bricks and floorboards or under mattresses. Seriously. You're missing out on lots of coin and magic items if you don't. Apply that as a metaphor to your life in whichever way you think works best.

And on that vaguely anti-D&D note, we bid farewell to one blog hop and move on to another, starting tomorrow: March Madness!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...