Wednesday, February 26, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Twenty-Six


Do you still game with the people who introduced you to the hobby?

As I've often groused about too many times before, I was a tabletop gaming autodidact, and much to my chagrin at that. Nevertheless, as I wrote about yesterday, I do still game with the first people I introduced to the hobby, at least.

In fact, this question has me thinking about all the people that I've introduced to the hobby. My own experiences with having to learn the ropes on my own have, I think, motivated me to be a mentor for as many folks as I can, just because I know how bewildering the hobby can be to the uninitiated. It's completely selfish too, as the more people I bring into the hobby, the more people I can game with!

I'm not a total missionary, of course. If I were, I'd probably be running open-invite games at the local game store or library - and I have considered doing that at times. But in the end, I like gaming with friends, with people I know, however tangentially. (I do run the local tabletop gaming Meetup group, for what that's worth.)

At the end of the day, there's nothing like bringing a new gamer into the hobby and watching their excitement as they discover the manifold possibilities that this little pastime offers.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...