Tuesday, February 25, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Twenty-Five


Longest running campaign/gaming group you've been in.

This is kind of an oddly-phrased question, because it conflates two very different things: a campaign, and a gaming group. Am I meant to have the same answer for both? Some groups do, I think. Not me.

And for the campaign portion of the question: are we talking longest-running in terms of years, or in terms of sessions? I suppose that's a rhetorical question, as I have the same answer for both: the Solo GPC campaign I played with my wife, which ran for nearly four years (albeit with significant gaps between sessions at times) and probably around 100 individual sessions. Nothing else I've played has even come close, although I'm hoping that my current run-through of the GPC with my Sunday group will eventually do so, if all goes according to plan.

Speaking of significant gaps, my answer to the group portion of the question is similarly qualified. As I've stated before, I started gaming in earnest right at the start of my freshman year in high school (way back in 1992) with my friend Alex. Gradually, through the course of high school and then college, we added a player here, a player there, but during that time we faithfully kept up a weekly schedule. That finally ended in 2000, and we didn't get a chance to game together again until 2003. Then there was another break. Then we were back on, via play-by-chat. Then off. Then back on again... You get the idea.

Thanks to Google Hangouts, we've been able to get back to a weekly gaming schedule pretty much uninterrupted for the last two years, and it's the closest we've come to having that old tabletop experience since physical distance obliged us to start gaming online. The wonders of technology! So, let's see, that's: 1992-2000, 2003-2004, 2005-2009, 2012-present...16 years total! The group has carried on despite, at times, being spread out over three time zones. (We're down to a lean single time-zone difference currently.) Having gone through adolescence and young adulthood, we've had our share of friend-drama and fallings-out, but I personally think we're currently experiencing some of the most enjoyable gaming we've ever done.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...