Monday, February 24, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Twenty-Four


First movie that comes to mind that you associate with D&D. Why?

For a long time, I didn't really have a good personal example of a "D&D movie" in my mind. Oh sure, there were movies that were vaguely inspirational in a sort of evocative way - flicks like the Arnie Conan movies (much more faithful to D&D than to REH), Excalibur, Willow, The Dark Crystal - but nothing that felt like how D&D feels.

Then a couple years ago I went and saw Your Highness.


NSFW clip? You bet your ass!

I know this movie was universally panned and totally bombed at the box office, but it quickly shot to the top of my favorite movies I saw that year, and remains a perennial favorite around mi casa. The reason is simple: much like when I first encountered the Knights of the Dinner Table comics, watching Your Highness felt like someone had distilled dozens of my own D&D campaigns from years past and blended them up into a movie. More than any of the myriad of those indie "gamer-centric" flicks that feature cut-scenes of actors playing the PCs in an ongoing campaign, Your Highness, particularly in the small and incidental details and character notes, more faithfully represented all the action, stupid jokes, crude references, and bizarre non-sequiters that characterize a properly rollicking D&D campaign. Watching it never fails to evoke in me a desire to Quest once again. (Or at least go on a Mini-quest...)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...