Thursday, February 20, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Twenty


Day 20: First non-D&D RPG you played.

That would be Rifts.

Way back on Day Two I mentioned that, when me and my buddy Alex started gaming together, we transitioned to Rifts just one week after we played our first AD&D session. Pretty much from the get-go, Rifts took the place of "the world's most popular role-playing game" in our esteem. As much as D&D shepherded me into the hobby, Rifts is what got me to stay.


And yes, I threw a Splugorth Slaver up against Alex's PC in the first session. How could I not? The damn thing was on the cover of the main rulebook! Alex wisely ran for his life and managed to flee, but not before nearly being incinerated by the Slaver's barrage of attacks. The drama that hung on Alex's dodge roll as he desperately threw himself over a cliffside to get away...man, I can still remember that, 22 years later.

There had been talk before that afternoon of doing alternating AD&D and Rifts sessions, but by the end of the day, we had become unapologetic Palladium fanboys and went full-bore with that Rifts campaign for quite some time.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...