Sunday, February 9, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Nine


First campaign setting (published or homebrew) you played in.

This is an easy one, as it's something I'm currently revisiting in another ongoing series on this blog: the Forgotten Realms.

I'm in the midst of running a classic-era Realms campaign right now, and I have to say I've been a bit surprised by how much it feels like coming home again. As a teenage gamer back in the 90s, during the explosion of "Realmslore" and its avalanche of mediocre gaming products and novels, I always nursed a bit of an ambivalent, somewhat dismissive relationship to the world, even as I pinned maps of the Realms up on my bedroom walls. (Yes, I was one of those guys.)

Coming back to the Realms as they were first laid out in the Gray Box, though, which was also my first exposure to the setting as both player and DM, has been a bit like going back to your childhood hometown and recognizing all the old street names and storefronts that you haven't thought about in years. It's not exactly an exercise in nostalgia, because we're very much approaching the setting with a necessarily different set of assumptions and sensibilities, but it's been...cozy.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...