Friday, February 14, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Fourteen


Did you meet your significant other while playing D&D? Does he or she still play?

Readers of this blog will already be familiar with the fact that my wife Desiree is a regular participant in my gaming endeavors. I didn't meet her via gaming, though. It was the way most adult couples meet - via work; in our case, mutual co-worker friends set us up.

When I was a dateless teenager, I had nursed fantasies of having a gamer-significant other, but Desiree was the first who actually showed an interest in my hobby. Why she stuck around with gaming is a bit of a mystery to me. Her first-ever session (a BESM d20 game) saw the implosion of the campaign, and I then ran a Call of Cthulhu one-shot with just her (inaugurating our solo gaming) that was a bit...insensitively intense? I didn't run as much CoC back then, so I didn't quite understand how to pace the emotional roller coaster as well, and we were still getting to know each other.

At any rate, it's all been smiles and sunshine from that point out. We gamed together via chat clients when we went through a long-distance phase of our relationship, and we've continued to do both group and one-on-one gaming ever since. This year is 10 years since we met. Here's to another 10, 20, 30 years of gaming happiness with my sweetie.


(I suppose I should post-script this by saying that the one RPG that Des absolutely can't stand is actually D&D. So if the second part of that question is meant to read as "play D&D," then the answer is an emphatic no!)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...