Tuesday, February 11, 2014

[D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop] Day Eleven


First splatbook you begged your DM to approve.

Looking back at my adolescent gaming career, I have to say I was pretty lucky in one regard: my friends and I were pretty undiscerning when it came to supplemental material in our games. This might have come from the fact that we always had a rather small group (never more than three players plus the DM, usually fewer), so concerns of "brokenness" never really came up on our radar - we needed all the help we could get surviving in a game system that assumed a default party size of 4 to 6 players!

But, let's face it, we were also total tools, uncritically buying whatever products captured our young imaginations. It's not that we necessarily viewed TSR as a brand of quality, but we had a certain loyalty to the game that kept us eternally optimistic. (That all ended with the Player's Option series, as I've written about previously.)

So for a time there, at least, splatbooks were a thing of joy and happiness and always welcome in any campaign. Yes, even the Complete Book of Elves.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...