Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Kickstarter Success Story


The advent of crowd-sourced funding has, by most accounts, been an interestingly mixed bag of both great promise for the tabletop gaming industry and tremendous frustration for many backers. Personally, I started backing Kickstarter/Indie-Go-Go projects last year. I did so judiciously, and always with the maxim that I wasn't willing to spend more money than I'd feel comfortable never seeing a return on, and knowing full well that it would be awhile before I saw any product.

I have yet to get involved with any disastrous crowd-sourced projects (I almost backed Myth & Magic - dodged a bullet there!), but most are late to some degree or another. I threw some money at a couple of Raggi's adventures (Kelvin Green's "Horror Among Thieves" and Dave Brockie's "Towers Two") and those are both ridiculously overdue, as is a collection of Risus adventures from a Kickstarter run by S. John Ross - but none of that bothers me. It was a few bucks out of pocket, and I have every faith they'll show up eventually. The two Chaosium Kickstarters I backed, Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition and "Horror on the Orient Express", as well as Modiphius's Achtung Cthulhu, have all been pushed back a bit, but updates have been frequent and the delays have been due to final layout and printing taking longer than anticipated and/or stretch goals, rather than any issues with writing, editing, or art, so that's fine. (In fact, it seems that, in most cases, delays are caused by stretch goals adding tons of extra complexities to the production process.)

But in amongst these delays, both short and long, has been a little engine that could in the form of Golden Goblin Press. This is a new venture headed by Oscar Rios, current golden boy of Cthulhu scenario authors. The Kickstarter was for their first-ever project, a collection of articles and scenarios entitled Island of Ignorance: The Third Cthulhu Companion (a hat-tip to the two earlier and similarly-formatted companions put out by Chaosium back in the 80s). I'm a little more wary of backing Kickstarters from startup companies like this, but I decided to take a risk, and it has really paid off.

The project funded and even managed to rack up a couple stretch goals. And last night I received my PDF copy of the book, with shipment of the print version due by the end of the month. Take a look at the date on that Kickstarter. It wrapped on May 29th of this year. Updates from Oscar Rios were frequent (47 in all!); all the stretch goals were met, including a totally new scenario to be included in the book. This is how you do it, folks. Golden Goblin is already gearing up for another Kickstarter, and I will happily send some money their direction again.

One final note: when I went to download my PDF copy, I got a receipt informing me I was order number 23. Do I get some sort of Discordian prize for that, Mr. Rios?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...