Sunday, June 16, 2013

Portrait Commissions: An Endorsement

Being an enthusiastic amateur artist, I have in the past been known to throw together a character sketch for one of my own characters or the whole party. These days, with my gaming schedule as packed as it is, I don't really have the time or inclination to do that. Yet nothing really beats the power of a good character sketch, I've found.

And so, for my ongoing Deadlands campaign, I decided to surprise the group with a set of commissioned portraits. I've recently started using Tumblr, and it's a great resource for finding art and artists of all stripes. At some point I began following the work of Arthur Asa, aka regourso on Tumblr, and quite liked his stuff. Then I saw that he offered commissions for character portraits.

Commissioning character portraits is something I've known about for years (anyone else remember those ads in the back of Dragon magazine?), so I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and see how it turned out. Contacting Arthur, I was quoted a very reasonable price and off we went. I sent him a bunch of photos for reference and short descriptions of each character, and tonight (after anxiously awaiting all four portraits being sent my way) I was able to present the finished pieces to my unsuspecting players. To say they were surprised and delighted would be an understatement.

The pieces are presented below, but I just want to reiterate that Arthur does great work at a great rate - if you're looking to commission someone for portrait work, definitely give him a look! If anything, the only point against him is that, like any good artist, he's quite busy and so you might have to wait a couple weeks or more for the finished product...but it's definitely worth the wait!

Cuad Hoyter Pertullus, Miner and Inventor

Kangee Taken-Alive, Lakota Gunslinger

Tobias Alvin "Doc" Funk, Veterinarian

"Jersey" Lilly, Songbird and Shitkicker

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...