Thursday, January 12, 2012

How I'm Rolling My Three-Sided Dice From Now On



I'm listening to the Bradford Players' actual play podcast of Tatters of the King right now and I just picked up the coolest little trick for rolling a d3:

Roll your d6. If it comes up a 1, 2, or 3, take the face value. If it comes up a 4, 5, or 6, take the obverse value. So a 6 would read as a 1, a 5 as a 2, and a 4 as a 3.

I don't know why this appeals to me so much, other than the fact that I remember being fascinated as a youngster when I discovered the obverse values of a die always tallied to 7. This is also a great trick for the math impaired who don't enjoy taking a couple seconds to confirm that, yes, 2.5 rounds to 3 or what have you. (I've known a few of these folks in my time at the gaming table.)

This trick may be as old as the hills, but it's the first I've ever heard of it. Of course the system only works if you have standard dice; I have a vintage d6 in my collection, for instance, that does not have the regular obverse values. So be sure to double-check those dice before trying out this system!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...