Sunday, December 19, 2010

Percolating Projects

As we approach the turning of another calendar I find myself (as is usual around this time) both in a reflective mood while simultaneously looking ahead to what is to come in the encroaching year. Here's a bit of a sneak peek at what I'll probably be posting about as 2011 gets under way...

  • As always, the Pendragon actual play reports will continue unabated in their usual manner. As I pointed out in my last update, we're 30 game years in at this point. Since some of those years have taken two or three actual sessions to play out, that means we're somewhere in the mid- to upper-thirties as far as sessions played. This is already easily the longest face-to-face campaign I've ever been a part of, and we've still got another 45 or so game years to go, which means at least another year of game play! I never thought I'd look at posts about "epic" campaigns that lasted a whole 29 sessions as child's play, but thanks to The Great Pendragon Campaign I do. (To clarify, though, on the whole I'd say I still prefer campaigns that reach an end point after 20 to 30 sessions, but the GPC is its own animal.)
  • Aside from Pendragon, my thoughts turn more and more towards my long-neglected "other" gaming hobby of miniatures wargaming. Back in high school I used to play miniatures games about as much as I played RPGs. From college onwards that ratio has been steadily dropping. One sign of the atrophying of my miniatures hobby is in the fact that my first blog here on Blogger was actually devoted to miniatures gaming (The Miniatures Corner)...and that last year I merged it into this blog. I've continued to follow miniatures gaming as a hobby, and to paint miniatures both for fun and profit, but the actual playing of the games has dropped off precipitously even compared to the much-reduced standards of the 2000s. My gaming resolution for 2011 is to rectify this shameful lack and do more miniatures gaming, so expect to see more miniatures-related posts (picture posts and battle reports, mainly) as the weeks and months progress. I doubt I'll ever see my miniatures gaming reach the same levels of frequency as during my heady high school days, but hopefully I can manage a game every month or two from here on out.
  • I'll also hopefully have a chance to blog a bit about gaming from the player's perspective in 2011. I had the good fortune of meeting a fellow gamer through my work and, after chatting about our respective interests and inspirations, it looks like we'll be doing some gaming together in the coming year. At the moment, that looks to take the form of a Day After Ragnarok campaign powered by the FATE system. As a newcomer to both, I'm really stoked to explore the setting and the system alike, and it'll be great to be a player in a campaign (as opposed to the occasional one-shot) again (I honestly can't remember the last time I was a player in a campaign...1999?). It'll also be interesting to be playing alongside my significant other rather than running games for her. We'll see what kind of a team we make!
  • Also, I don't know if this will provide any blog fodder, but I thought I'd mention that my "frivolous purchase" of the first quarter of 2011 may just well be Mythus. This may come as a surprise to long-time (and I do mean long-time) readers of this blog, as way back in 2008 I wrote about how Mythus was my first fantasy heartbreaker. Maybe I'm about to learn the same lesson twice, but I'm actually considering picking up the system again. This is due in part to the fact that since writing that post I've been advised by some folks I rather respect that the game is worth another look. Nostalgia probably plays a small role as well, as I originally received Mythus as a Christmas present and since it's around that time of year again... On the other hand, I've never really felt the itch any other holiday season in years past, so who knows? Sometimes you just have to follow your muse, especially if you can score a good deal on eBay...
  • Lastly, just as the GPC actual play series was my extended blogging project for 2010, I'm giving some thought to starting a new series for 2011. No promises yet, but if I do start something it will definitely be building off this post. Stay tuned.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...