Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Holloway Halloween

Browsing my PDF collection of Dragon magazines, I came across an article from the mid-90s that featured a trio of great Jim Holloway illustrations. I've said it before, but I think Jim Holloway is one of the great underrated "old school" artists. Whether going for serious or comedic effect, his subjects are always infused with a wonderful sort of identifiable humanity and character.

What I particularly like about this collection is difficult to put into words. I guess I'd sum it up as verisimilitude. First, I like the precise rendering of the Mythos beasties; it lends a certain reality and "heft" (for lack of a better word) to their alien presence. Second, I like that Holloway has rendered the human subjects clearly as residents of the game's default 1920s setting. It appeals to my inner history nerd, what can I say. I particularly like the first picture, set among the prosaic surroundings of an urban alleyway.

Fever-dream, hallucinogenic representations of the Mythos are all well and good, but sometimes I like a little concrete representation.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...