Sunday, November 15, 2009

Late Roman Awesomeness



The image above is of a late Roman standard bearer carrying a "draco"-style windsock standard.

I'm always on the lookout for inspirational imagery of warriors/armor/architecture from history to steal and integrate into my fantasy games. The late Roman period is a goldmine for these sorts of things (and nicely fits into my historical fetish for transitional periods that I wrote about in my Riverworld post, but that's just me). It's got a somewhat medieval feel to it, yet it's still rooted in the ancient world. Plus, since all the attention tends to get focused on the glory days of Imperial Rome, most people aren't the least bit familiar with later Roman imagery.

Back to the standard bearer, I especially like the literal "facemask" look of his helmet. So creepy! Great stuff. I could easily imagine knights of the Invincible Overlord sporting masks like that.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...