Monday, November 16, 2009

In Praise of the Troll Lords

I just wanted to put a word out in praise of Troll Lord Games and their customer service.

About three weeks ago I decided to put in an order for the latest printings of the Castles & Crusades core books (the "Fourth Crusade" as it were). My copy of the Players Handbook and Monsters & Treasure both date from the decidedly lackluster 1st printings, and I rather like the new covers, to say nothing of the improved layout and interesting rules tweaks featured in the latest printings. While I was at it, I decided to plump for the new Deities & Demigods Of Gods & Monsters book too. All in all, it was a big order, but since C&C has officially become my go-to system for D&D fantasy, I felt it was time to take the plunge.

You can imagine my disappointment when the order failed to materialize after one week...then two weeks. I had ordered from TLG before with no problems, so I dropped them an email looking for an update on the order status. No reply.

A week went by, and then I read that TLG had been at a convention the previous week, so I decided to drop them a follow-up. This was last Friday afternoon. I got an immediate response promising to check things out and get back to me ASAP.

This morning I received an email from Steven Chenault, saying they sent the order out two days after it was placed. D'oh! This wouldn't be the first time my local post office bungled a package delivery. In fact, I think the only thing they're actually good at is redefining the incompetent mail carrier stereotype.

(And I say this as someone who enjoyed years of competent, at times very satisfactory mail service at other locations I've lived at.)

But here's the thing: Mr. Chenault went on to tell me that, as the order will probably wend its way back to TLG in time, they went ahead and sent me the order again today so I don't have to wait around any longer! I really, really hope they get that first order back. I'd hate to think that my lovely letter carriers have not only cost me needless weeks of waiting for my goodies, but TLG the cost of a shipment!

At any rate, here's to Troll Lord Games and their outstanding customer service!

::rubs hands together in anticipation of new books arriving::

(As a postscript, I'd just offer one critique of TLG's mail order system: they use USPS Priority Mail, so they don't have tracking numbers. If they used tracking info, this whole mess could have resolved itself much earlier, and perhaps at no extra cost to the Trolls!)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...