Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cyber-Nomads

I was horrified recently when I discovered, in the course of chatting up standard Cyberpunk tropes--and making the analogy that for rural America and nomads, just think the first Mad Max movie--that Des had never seen any of the installments in the Mad Max trilogy! How does this sort of thing happen?

I felt a bit remiss myself, as this discovery served only to make the trilogy's absence from my DVD collection even more glaring. I rectified that as soon as possible, and a couple weekends ago we spent a couple evenings happily screening Mad Max, Road Warrior, and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. This was the first time I'd watched any of these movies since my childhood/early adolescence, and there was much food for thought generated by returning to these movies 20 years later. But that's the subject for another post.

In the meantime, I just wanted to share a movie poster I ran across today that, I think, perhaps sums up classic "retro-Cyberpunk" nomads even better than the first Mad Max. (For my campaign, especially, since I'm explicitly setting it in an alternate history 1980s.) Observe:



If I ever have to explain nomads to a Cyberpunk newbie again, I'll just produce a print-out of this poster and silently hand it to the questioner.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...