Sunday, October 18, 2009

Faces of the Wilderlands

I've been meaning to do this for a while now.

What can I say, I'm a visually-oriented person. I like a good picture; it's worth a thousand words after all. In last week's Wilderlands D&D game, I made the analogy that the setting is like the "Star Wars" of fantasy worlds as it relates to diversity of races/species. I think the Wilderlands boxed set says there's something like 252 sentient races. Minimum.

This sort of diversity can be found even among basic races, with various sub-types and Lesser Races and so forth. Add in the fact that Wilderlands is a proper old school fantasy world, meaning there's more than the standard gamut of earth tones to be found among the major races' skin colors.

In an effort to improve my world building and in-game descriptions, I've been trying to get a handle on this diversity, fixing in my mind who looks like what. I realized at some point that the best way to do this was to create some sort of visual reference. I found my tool for doing this in the form of a nifty little Flash program called FaceMaker over on Deviant Art. The faces thus rendered are in anime style, but that suited my purposes well, as I was looking for something iconic and easily memorable, both sterling qualities of the anime form. Plus the "big eyes" make eye color differences easily distinguishable.

And so, without further ado, I present the "Faces of the Wilderlands" PDF, a tour through the Major Races and selected Lesser Races of the classic fantasy setting.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...