Monday, August 3, 2009

Dispatches from the Dork Side

Today Des and I went over to a friend's house for a Hawk the Slayer screening. At his house I spotted this poster:



He says he found it in a Mormon gift shop, of all places. I must possess one of my own. Is it just me, or could that be THE poster for the Old School Renaissance?

We also played a few games of Chez Geek, a first for me. I'm proud to say that I won my very first game in about three turns with a cagey combination of Playing RPGs and RPG Nookie.

As for the movie, having only seen the "best clips in three minutes" video on YouTube, I was surprised by how much I legitimately enjoyed it. I mean, don't get me wrong--the movie is firmly in the "so bad its good" category, with wooden acting (especially from the hilariously robotic Elf), bizarre dialogue ("I am no messenger, but I will give you a message...a message...of death!) and truly atrocious special effects (super bouncy balls and silly string feature prominently). But the set dressing and costuming was actually fairly decent in a Ren Faire sort of way, and the whole movie evoked the sort of Dragon Warriors-ish fantastic realism that I find so appealing in 80s fantasy. Definitely a recommended viewing experience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...