Tuesday, April 7, 2009

This One Goes Out to Dave

So Grognardia's reporting that Dave Arneson has passed away. Another link to the past lost.

When Gygax passed, I ran my next game session as a tribute to him--it wasn't easy, but I managed to integrate a nice little mini-dungeon crawl into my then-current Pendragon game. This time around, I'm actually running a D&D campaign--set in the Wilderlands, no less--so engineering a suitably Arnesonian tribute should be a snap. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I'm thinking that whatever it is it should feature a robot or lasers. Maybe I'll have an NPC traveller from far-distant Blackmoor show up.

I think the best way to honor the memory of any gamer, be they legendary designer or close personal friend, is to run a game in their honor. So this next one's for you, Dave.

EDIT: Blarg, I jinxed myself--session got canceled. Ah well, this will give me a little extra time to come up with something. I'm thinking of having one or more Blackmoorian NPCs show up during the course of the adventure.

EDIT 2: And apparently news of Mr. Arneson's death has been greatly exaggerated. It must be said, though, that the signs don't seem too good. Maybe it is for the best that this happened--Mr. Arneson was never as visible a figure as Gary Gygax, and the premature news of his death has, I think, prompted many to reflect on the monumentality of his contributions to the hobby. That he's still alive to hear the outpouring of well-wishes and "thank yous" is perhaps a silver lining on all this.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...