Friday, January 30, 2009

A couple more thoughts on Carcosa

In the course of thinking about rules mods and hacks and whatnot for Carcosa, I came up with a couple setting nuggets as well.

First of all were the Space Aliens--a bit of a sticking point for me when I first read through the book, I'm afraid. No, it's not because I didn't like sci-fi mixing with my fantasy. Not at all. It's just that, as described in the book, the Space Aliens resemble the typical modern image of a "Grey", with long spindly arms and bulbous black, almond-shaped eyes. It just seemed kind of...out of place with everything else.

Then, while listening to my iPod on shuffle the other day, the Devo song "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA" came on and suddenly I had a revelation. My version of the Space Aliens would be of the clinical, detached super-genius mode, with huge brains and even bigger egos:



Problem solved!

The other little setting inspiration came from paging through Fight On! #3 and realizing that grafting Gabor Lux's "Formalhaut" setting onto an edge of the Carcosa map is pretty much a no-brainer. And so it shall be done.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...