Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Scribbler of Superiority +1


Hot dang, I went and won me an award! And from none other than James "Grognardia" Maliszewski himself. (Could this have anything to do with the fact that I have a James M. quote in my header? Flattery will get you everywhere...)

Here's what the man himself wrote:
Dave/Sirlarkins comes at old school gaming from a different background than I, which I consider a good thing. Every time I read this blog I am reminded that there are many different approaches to our common hobby and we all benefit from taking full advantage of them. It's an important thing for me to keep in mind and I'm very grateful to Dave for his role in helping me do just that.
And this is what I wrote in response:

Wow, thanks very much James! Like you, I tend to downplay my own role as a blogger and still think of myself primarily as a reader. To receive recognition, and particularly from someone I have the utmost respect and admiration for...well, that just makes my day!
And I mean every word of it. I mean, sometimes I forget folks actually read this thing...

Now, on to the rules of the game, as it were:
  • Each Superior Scribbler must in turn pass The Award on to 5 most-deserving Bloggy Friends.
  • Each Superior Scribbler must link to the author & the name of the blog from whom he/she has received The Award.
  • Each Superior Scribbler must display The Award on his/her blog, and link to this post, which explains The Award.
  • Each Blogger who wins The Superior Scribbler Award must visit this post and add his/her name to the Mr. Linky List (scroll down). That way, we’ll be able to keep up-to-date on everyone who receives This Prestigious Honor!
  • Each Superior Scribbler must post these rules on his/her blog.
  • I...can't really read the list of people who have already won this thing, so I'm just going to throw five names out there. If you've already been recognized by another blogger, then consider this icing on the cake.

    Like the redoubtable noisms said over on Monsters & Manuals, "I should say first of all that I would ideally nominate every blog I read for an award; that's why I read them, as opposed to the horrendous shite that gets purveyed around much of the blogosphere." Couldn't have put it better myself! Now on to the awards ceremony, presented in no particular order:

    How to Start a Revolution in 21 Days or Less: To me, Odyssey is a living example of the "go play" attitude--seems she's always plotting or scheming about a new campaign to map out or a new system to take a creative monkey wrench to. I can definitely sympathize. Yet, here's the thing folks--she manages to run games too! Too many would-be GMs, I think, fall victim to what I like to call the "Stanley Kubrick syndrome," getting caught up in the perfectionistic quest to perfect every set, shot, part, and line of dialogue. Sometimes you just have to grab your camera and start shooting. Odyssey shows us you can have your cake and eat it too.

    RPG Blog II: Ever since Zachary started commenting on this humble blog, I've felt his were the closest to my own erudite interests. Our being co-founders of the Order of the d30 would seemingly just confirm his nomination--were it not for the fact that he also writes a truly exceptional blog, full of all the things I look for in my daily reading: reviews, ponderings, the occassional house rule or rant. If I ever meet Zachary in person, I'll be sure to give him a high five.

    The Tao of D&D: Alexis has to be the most gonzo--and the grouchiest--old school DM (none of that "GM" foolishness here, thanks!) I've ever seen. And that just makes me love his blog all the more. I mean, who else do you know who spends two years creating a detailed map of the trade routes and economic interactions of the various polities in his game world? Fascinating and inspirational.

    Trollsmyth: Although the blog is undergoing a brief hiatus due to outside events, I have every faith that Brian will return to the world of blogging. Even if he doesn't, however, his blog will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was there that one of my articles was first linked by an outside party, alerting me to fact that someone other than myself was reading this thing. When he's in full swing, the Trollsmyth's blog is an outstanding combination of linkage to worthwhile articles elsewhere on the Web and eminently gankable original content, such as the immortal "Shields Shall Be Splintered!" house rule, of which I am an outspoken fan.

    Kellri: Readers of the forums over on the RPGSite will probably know Kellri for his always-opiniated commentary, but if you didn't know, he's also a netbook author par excellance. Why, just this week he's produced a netbook on generating a sci-fi/cyberpunk city "hex crawl style"--something I've been explicitly looking for of late--as well as a weird science gadget generator and a random fantasy terrain generator. Although he saves most of his commentary for the forum boards, Kellri's blog is always worth a look.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...